Having an excess fat around your waist can raise the risks of many diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, colon cancer, high blood pressure or a silent killer like sleep apnea. All these are not severe diseases but chronic diseases that are difficult to control or treat.
There are four main risk factors.
- Unhealthy eating habit: consuming high-fat, high-sugar diets
- No exercise
- Insufficient rest
- Working under pressure, stress
Although fat is important to our body in term of providing the energy, too much body fat can be harmful to your health leading to many health issues. Fat that gets stored in the body is divided into two types:
1.Subcutaneous fat – found directly underneath the skin in the belly, waist, or thighs
2.Visceral fat - stored around a number of important internal organs such as the liver, pancreas, intestines and heart.
To determine your body fat, medical equipment like X-Ray or Dexa Scan (Whole Body) can tell how much fat you are carrying whether it is the fat in the abdominal area, hip, arms, leg and trunk region. Dexa scan will help us learn the risk of developing health problems associated with overweight and obesity more accurately.
Lifestyle Change for Obesity
A change in lifestyle does not mean that you need to lose weight fast by not eating; instead, you can gradually change your diet, exercise habits and lifestyle to help you lose weight safely.
1. Exercise at least 30 minutes five times a week. The suitable physical activity for overweight people is swimming or cycling since it does not require physical contact between players. Combine with weight training to build muscle strength and burn calories more effectively.
2. Do not skip meals. Control your diet, eating a large breakfast and light lunches. Eating mainly fruits, vegetables and lean protein for dinner. No carbs and sweets in the evening. Do not eat after 6 pm. and limit sweetened drinks
3. Have enough rest. Go to bed early by 10-11 pm when growth hormone release is highest. Deep rest during the night helps you fight stress, and maintain a healthy body.
You may find our specialist here at Health Promotion Center, Phyathai 2 Hopsital
Phyathai 2 Hospital
International Correspondence Center
Tel: +66-2617-2444 ext 2020 or 2047, Email: email@example.com