Vaginal discharge is referred to a fluid by glands inside the vagina and cervix carrying away dead cells and bacteria. This is known to help prevent infection and keep vagina clean. When infection is present, there may be an increase in quantity or change in the appearance of vaginal discharge.
There are some clear warning signs of vaginal infections as following:
- A change in color or consistency
- A sudden bad smell
- An unusually large amount of discharge
- Itching outside your vagina
- Bleeding from the vagina
What are the common causes of abnormal vaginal discharge?
Mostly the reason behind is infection. Infections from sexually transmitted infection (STI) such as trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, and Chlamydia are commonly found. A fungus infection that can affect the vagina called Thrush. In addition, unbalanced overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria known as Bacterial vaginosis can also lead to unhealthy vaginal discharge.
What can we do to keep vagina healthy?
1. Maintain a healthy diet for vagina health. Cranberry juice and yogurt can potentially help prevent yeast infections and assist in their treatment.
2. Practice safe sex, many sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented by using condom.
3. Not to wear clothes too tight to the genitals since some clothes worn close to the genitals can increase heat and moisture which can leads to bacteria overgrowth and infection.
4. Know your medications. Discuss medication use and possible vaginal side effects with your physician.
The treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge is antibiotics which are given to fight infections. However, it can recur after successful treatment.