Diarrhea among children
Diarrhea is a common disease that affects people of all ages and diarrhea is the second leading cause of death among children. It can be as a result of bacteria and viruses, protozoa, parasites, Intestinal worms and Rotavirus. Diarrhea occurs when the child passes the loose or watery stool three times in a day or mucous or bloody stool one time in a day or pass loose stool more than usual. In some child, the loose or watery stool is accompanied by fever, vomiting and dehydration.
Diarrhea in children can cause from many factors, a bacteria that infect the intestinal tract. This infection is caused by eating undercooked meat, leftovers, contaminated food and contaminated water.
Food poisoning is one cause of diarrhea in child
Food poisoning is caused by eating food contaminated with germs or Bacterial toxins. When the body tries to get rid of these toxins, it makes a child have symptoms like nausea, vomit, stomach cramps, diarrhea, dehydration and fever.
Symptoms of Diarrhea that needs to visit doctor immediately
- Diarrhea that lasts for more than 3 days
- Severe stomach pain and vomiting
- High fever
- Bloody stool
- Dehydration such as dry mouth, little urination, cold skin and oral rehydration salt cannot help rehydration.
Diarrhea treatment in children
The doctor will evaluate the children from dehydration condition to replace body fluid and prescribe certain prescription medications to treat the different symptoms of each patient such as fever, vomit, abdominal cramp divided into two cases.
1. In case the child can have soft food and oral rehydration salt can replace body fluid, the doctor will allow the child to return to their homes for recovery.
2. If the vomiting and dehydration are severe, a child need to be closely monitored and replace body fluid as needed since severe dehydration can be fatal.
How parents can deal with diarrhea in children during summer time
1. Eat clean and cooked food, avoid eating leftovers
2. Ensure kids wash their hands well and often, especially before eating and after using the toilet.
3. Drink safe and clean water
4. Nowadays there is a vaccine for preventing some diarrhea such as Rotavirus vaccine to protect the child against rotavirus disease, which can significantly reduce severity of diarrhea.
You may find our specialist here at Pediatric Center, Phyathai 2 Hospital
Phyathai 2 Hospital
International Correspondence Center
Tel: +66-2617-2444 ext. 2020 or 2047 E mail: email@example.com